10. A cardboard gasket is provided with the kit. After speaking with PA Performance, they said that using the gasket is optional depending on the application. Since my stock solenoid did not have a gasket between it and the starter housing, I elected not to use it. If you decide to use it, place the gasket on the plunger end of the new solenoid.
11. Install the new solenoid by reversing the removal procedure, sliding the plunger over the tongue and then straighten it so it sits parallel to the starter housing. Make sure to orientate the terminals as they were with the stock solenoid. Tighten down the two Phillips head screws to secure the solenoid to the housing,
12. If you haven’t already, remove the new nuts and lock washers from the new solenoid. Slide the wire strap from the starter housing over the respective terminal followed by the lock washer, then the nut and tighten securely.
13. At this point, the starter is ready to be re-installed. Return under the vehicle and slide the starter back in to position. Reinstall the 3 starter bolts. Finger-tighten each bolt initially. Make sure the starter fully engages the flywheel and sits flush against the housing. You may need to wiggle the starter back and forth a bit to get it to mesh and fully seat. Once it looks good and is sitting flush, tighten each bolt to 18 lb-ft.
14. Re-attach the starter solenoid power and ignition relay wires followed by the lock washers, and then tighten the nuts securely.
15. Once that is complete, the starter should be tested before finishing up. Clean up anything from underneath the vehicle. Back on top, re-attach the negative battery cable then hop in the driver’s seat and give the motor a quick crank to make sure everything is reconnected properly. If you do not hear the starter click and engage, remove the negative battery cable again and check your work.
16. If everything checks out with the starter, jack the car up and remove the jack stands then lower the vehicle back down to the ground. Enjoy!
Installation Instruction written by American Muscle customer Jonathan Glennie 1/08/13