DESIGNED FOR COMPETITION PURPOSES ONLY
READ INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE STARTING THIS PROJECT
INSTALLATION OF THE QA1 MOTORSPORTS ECO COMP CONTROL ARMS REQUIRE THE USE OF A COIL-OVER STRUT FRONT SUSPENSION ALONG WITH A SPHERICAL BEARING CASTER / CAMBER PLATE.
- Before starting the installation of your QA1 Motorsports Eco Comp control arms read the instructions carefully and thoroughly. A good chassis manual, available at your local parts store, may aid in your installation. Check to make sure you have all of the parts and tools needed to complete this installation.
- Jack up the car so that jack stands can be placed under the frame. Let the jack down so that the frame sets securely on the stands.
- Remove the wheels and then unbolt the calipers. Then tie them up and move them out of your way. For vehicles equipped with ABS, refer to your Ford manual for safe removal.
- Remove the sway bar end-link bolts and bushings. (Inspect for bushing wear and replace as needed)
- Use the floor jack to support one of the A-arm assemblies. Jack the A-arm up just enough to take the load off of the strut and the spindle. Remove the cotter pin that is in the castle nut on the ball joint. Loosen the castle nut enough to separate the ball joint. Remove castle nut. Loosen and remove the two bolts that retain the strut to the spindle. Slowly, CAREFULLY, let the A-arm assembly down until the spring is free and can be removed.
- Repeat the procedure for the other side.
- Loosen and remove the two bolts and nuts holding each A-arm into the K-member. (Do not discard, you will reuse these bolts and nuts.)
- Inspect the bolts for any defects or wear. Replace if needed.
- Identify the left and right side A-arms. The tube with the sway bar attachment will point to the front of the car.
- Install the control arm into the K-member on each side of the car.
- Do not completely tighten the bolts. Control arm should move freely at this point.
- Install the coil-over struts, caster camber plates, and reattach the spindle to the ball joint, cotter pin, struts. (Torque to manufacture specifications)
- Install the grease zerk fitting on the bottom of the ball joint.
- Grease both ball joints.
- Jack up the A-arm so it is level to the chassis and tighten the bolts on the lower control arm. (Torque to manufacture specifications)
- Reinstall the brake caliper on each side. (Torque to manufacture specifications)
- Reinstall the ABS sensor.
- Reinstall both front wheels. (Torque to manufacture specifications)
- Set ride height by adjusting the spring seat adjuster on the body of the strut.
- Lock the spring seat adjuster once desired ride height is achieved.
- Double check all bolts and make sure that they are torqued to manufacture specifications.
- Bring vehicle to a reputable shop for a quality front-end alignment.