This Mustang Parts Installation Guide Works For
Caution!!!Neverwork on a hot exhaust system. Serious injury in the form of burns can resultIf the vehicle has been in use and the exhaust system is hot, allow vehicle to cool for at least 1 hour. Always wear eye protection when working under any vehicle.
Note: It is our recommendation that you use a hoist or hydraulic lift to facilitate the installation of your new Borla Performance Cat-BackÔExhaust System.
Taking all under car safety precautions, lift the vehicle using a hoist or hydraulic lift. Once this has been done, you may begin the removal of your old exhaust system from your vehicle.
Note: Before removing the original exhaust system from your vehicle, please compare the parts you have received with the bill of materials provided on the previous page to assure that you have all the parts necessary for the installation of your new Borla Performance Cat-BackÔExhaust System.
Original Exhaust System Removal
Note: With a used vehicle, we suggest a penetrating spray lubricant to be applied liberally to all exhaust fasteners and allowing a significant period of time for the chemical to lubricate the threads before attempting to disassemble.
1. Loosen the clamps shown in figure 1 located just behind the H- pipe.
2. Loosen the clamps shown in figure 2 located just in front of each muffler assembly.
3. Beginning with the left (driver) side, using a flat blade screwdriver, pull the clip as shown in figure 3 to disengage it from the pipe.
4. Remove the left (driver) side over axle pipe shown in figure 4 by removing the front of the pipe first then sliding it out of the muffler assembly.
5. Remove the factory clamp for use during the installation of your new exhaust system.
6. Repeat steps 3 thru 5 for the removal of the right side over axle pipe.
7. Lubricate hangers and rubber isolators.
8. On left (driver) side muffler assembly, remove the hangers from the rubber isolators and remove the muffler from the vehicle. (See Fig 5)
9. Repeat step 7 for the removal of the right (passenger) side muffler assembly.
Warning: Use extreme caution during installation. Torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s torque values and tightening sequence.DO NOTuse air impact tools to tighten fasteners on Borla Performance Exhaust Systems. Use of such tools may result in bent flanges or gasket contact areas leading to exhaust leaks.
Borla Performance Cat-BackÔExhaust System Installation
1. Place a clamp over the expanded end of the R/H Over Axle Pipe and insert end of Front Pipe. Lightly tighten clamp. Repeat for L/H side. **PLEASE REFER TO DRAWING ON PAGE 2**
2. Place a clamp over the expanded end of the left (driver) side muffler assembly and set it up into position installing the hangers into the rubber isolators. (See Fig. 6)
3. Repeat step 2 for the installation of the right (passenger) side muffler assembly.
4. Place the original clamp over the expanded end of left (driver) side over axle pipe and set it into position by first installing the rear portion into the muffler assembly. (See Fig. 7)
5. Repeat step 4 for the installation of the right (passenger) side over axle pipe.
6. Check your exhaust system for proper clearance under the vehicle and also for tip alignment. (See Fig. 8)
7. Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal™ clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs.
7. Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
8. Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary.
Note: When you first start your vehicle after the installation of your new Borla Performance Exhaust System, there may be some smoke and fumes coming from the system. This is a protective oil based coating used in the manufacturing of mandrel bent performance exhaust tubing. This is not a problem and will disappear within a very short period of time after the exhaust has reached normal operating temperatures.Congratulations!!!As shown in figure 8, you have completed the installation of the world famous Borla