Notice: Prefit Before Painting. Install new, unpainted parts according to these instructions. Then remove parts, paint them and re-install.
Painted or Altered Parts are Non-Refundable The surface that is in contact with the 3M 2-sided tape must be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol & the temperature must be a minimum of 75 degrees F, before applying . Allow the 2-sided tape to dry 24 hours before driving.
Pre-fi tting the quarter window covers: Line the template up with the factory Roof body Line on the top of the quarter panel and the body line behind the window molding as shown in fi g A. Tape the template in place. Do not discard the template it is used for the other side. The window cover will overlap the window trim an 1/8”.
Installing the quarter window covers: After the window covers have been painted install the provided 3M double sided tape along the guideline an 1/8” away from the outer edge of the cover and in the middle of the louvers as shown in fi g B. Mask off the red backing of the double sided tape with 2” masking tape, leaving the center portion of the cover exposed. Scuff the inside surface with a gray scuff pad and paint it with fl at black paint. Mask off the window cover so that the louvers are exposed. Paint the louvers and the trim piece fl at black or Semi gloss black. Remove the tape backing and place your fi nger tips under the rear of the cover. Do not allow the double sided tape to touch the car. Place the front of the window cover an 1/8” overtop of the window trim, pressing fi rmly on the cover adhering the double sided tape to the car. Work your way to the rear of the cover applying pressure, making sure to aligning the top of the cover with the top of the template, removing your fi ngers last. After the trim piece has been painted install the provided ¼” 3M double sided tape along the guideline a 1/8” away from the outer edge of the trim as shown in fi g C. Remove the tape backing and install the trim piece on the window cover as shown in fi g D.
VERY IMPORTANT: The following painting procedures MUST be followed EXACTLY for PROPER ADHESION and to prevent fish eyes.
1. To remove any mold release contaminants, clean the back of the part fi rst. Using 2 new clean rags, saturate the fi rst rag with plastic prep cleaner* and begin cleaning. Then use the second rag to remove the prep cleaner. Continuously fold both rags to their clean sides during the process. Use 3 sets of new rags throughout the process. This prevents mold release contaminants from transferring to the painted surface.
2. Repeat step one on the front of the part.
3. Rinse the part with water. Apply a generous amount of Ajax® or sand fi x* to a red scuff pad* (3M Scotch Brite Brand) and scrub the surface to be painted THOROUGHLY (especially where the 2-sided tape is installed, on the back side of the part, and all the hard to reach areas). Then rinse with water and dry. The scrubbed surface should be dull. If any shiny spots show, repeat the process on those areas.
4. Using another set of clean new rags, again clean the surface to be painted with plastic prep cleaner.
5. Spray the surface to be painted with adhesion promoter* including the areas where the 2-sided tape is installed (follow the instructions on the can for application and drying time).
6. Apply 3 to 4 coats of urethane primer* with fl ex additive* (follow the instructions on the can for application and drying time).
7. Wet sand primer with 600 grit sandpaper. Be careful not to sand through the primer. If you do, you MUST clean those areas with plastic prep cleaner, apply adhesion promoter and prime.
8. Once the primer has dried, wet sand the areas that were touched up. Your surface is now ready for paint.
* These items can be purchased at any auto body supply store.