7.0 HARNESS INSTALLATION
7.1 Attach main engine harness connector (large green and white connector) to the PDB. Use a Phillips screwdriver to gently snug the mounting screw for this connector. Access to this screw is through a hole in the back side of PDB.
7.2 Attach the PCM Connector (Page 8, Connector #1) to the cowl pocket (middle connector) of the PCM
7.3 Attach the Auxiliary Inline Connector (Page 8, Connector #2) to the mating Inline Connector on the engine harness.
NOTE: IF USING THIS KIT FOR A 2005 / 2006 MUSTANG 4.6L 3V ENGINE OR 2010 4.6L or 5.4L ENGINE, YOU MUST REMOVE AND REPLACE THE EXISTING ENGINE WIRING HARNESS WITH A 2007-09 MODEL YEAR ENGINE WIRING HARNESS!!!
7.4 Attach the 15 pin PDB Connector (Page 8, Connector #5) to the PDB. Leave the lid off of the PDB for now, to allow for trouble-shooting if necessary.
7.5 Using a sheet metal screw, attach the eyelet (Page 8, Connector #4) to the inner fender or bulkhead. Verify that you have a good reliable ground path from the battery negative post to the location being used for this eyelet on the chassis. In general, the resistance from the battery ground to this chassis location should be less than 0.1 ohm.
7.6 (5.4L Only) Route the supercharger Intercooler Pump Connector (Page 8, Connector #3) down towards the bottom of the radiator, and find a suitable location to mount the intercooler pump which will still reach this connector. After mounting the intercooler pump, attach the connector.
7.7 Find a mounting location for the Accelerator Pedal. You should ensure that the mounting location is sufficiently strong so it will not fatigue over time from the constant usage of the accelerator pedal. If necessary, fabricate an addition support plate for mounting the accelerator pedal. Once the pedal is mounted, attach the Accelerator Pedal Connector (Page 8, Connector #10)
7.8 Attach the OBD II Diagnostic Connector (Page 8, Connector #9) under the dashboard on the driver (left) side of the vehicle. You should be sure that the connector, once mounted, does not interfere with any part of your body while in the seated position.
Important Note on the Starting System
This kit includes connections and installation instructions for PCM controlled engine starting; however, it is not required that the customer utilize this option. Customers may choose to use their existing non-PCM controlled starting system if desired. If non-PCM controlled starting is used, step 8.2 C may be omitted, and unused blunt leads should be cut to ~2” length and sealed using heat shrink.
8.0 WIRING CONNECTIONS
8.1 Locate each of the Blunt Leads. This is where you will need to make all of the soldered connections for the harness.
8.2 You may use the diagram on page 7 as a reference for the following connections:
- Blunt Lead 1 – Ignition Switch Position (Red/Light Green Wire): Connect this wire to a SINGLE SOURCE on the ignition switch that provides 12 Volts when the key is in either the ‘Start’ (cranking) or ‘Run’ position. It is imperative that this circuit be reliable, the PCM will interpret an intermittent voltage on this signal as a request to shut down the engine! (Hint, if your engine shuts down after a hard launch check here first).
- Blunt Lead 2 – Fuel Pump (Dark Green/Yellow): Connect to Fuel Pump positive. Separate ground for fuel pump must be provided. The fuel pump will be running any time key is on.
- Blunt Lead 3 – Starter Motor Request (Red/Light Blue): Connect to start node of ignition switch so that 12 volts is provided when engine starting is requested.*
- Blunt Lead 4 – Clutch Position (Light Blue/Yellow): This circuit must be grounded either directly to ground or through an optional customer provided clutch pedal switch.* (PCM will not engage the starter without proper ground/switch)
- Blunt Lead 5 - CTO (Tan/Yellow): This wire is the tachometer lead. This is not a mandatory connection.*
- Blunt Lead 6 - VSOUT (Pink): Intended for use with aftermarket electronic speedometer. Contact Ford Racing for help with calibration.*
- Blunt Lead 7 – A/C Control (Violet): Connect this wire to the dash control A/C switch. Battery power to this wire will engage the A/C compressor clutch.*
- Blunt Lead 8 – Cooling Fan (Orange): Connect to 12V feed of Cooling Fan. Separate ground must be provided.*
- Blunt Lead 9 - Not applicable
- Blunt Lead 10 – Power Ground (Black): Ground Wiring must be connected directly to negative lead of battery.
* If feature not used cut lead so ~2” of wire remains; use heat shrink to seal exposed wire.
9.0 Fuel System
The PCM is calibrated for a return style fuel system, not the returnless fuel system provided on factory mustangs.
- The required fuel system pressure is different depending on whether you are using a 4.6L or 5.4L engine.
- Set regulator to maintain the following constant delta fuel pressure across injector:
- Use only AN type fuel fitting to interface with OEM fuel rail.
- Do not remove original OEM fuel rail pressure sensor.