- Remove stock bellhousing, flywheel and block plate.
- Clean the back of the block, remove any dirt, felt seals, burrs, etc. Install the supplied Lakewood block plate, be sure it sits flat on the block. (Note: you must use the Lakewood block plate to insure proper starter location.)
- Install flywheel and clutch assembly*
- Remove the pivot ball from the stock bellhousing and install it in the Lakewood bellhousing. (use Ford no. D5F2-7B602A if original ball is not available)
- Install stock fork and throwout bearing in Lakewood bellhousing
- Bolt Lakewood bellhousing to block using the supplied hardware. Install the remaining nuts and bolts around the perimeter of the bellhousing, these must be used for maximum safety.
- Place the supplied 5/8" flat washer over the clutch cable and install cable through hole in bellhousing flange. Attach cable end to fork.
- Reinstall transmission, cross-member, shifter, etc. to complete installation.
*In compliance with N.H.RA and I.H.RA rules, stock cast iron flywheels and pressure plates should not be used in racing applications. Hays clutches offers a complete line of approved flywheels and clutches. Please consult their catalog for your application. If atter reading these instructions you still have questions please contact Lakewood Industries Customer Service (216) 688-8300 ext. 500
Due to manufacturing tolerances of cylinder block and bellhousing it is quite possible for the transmission centerline and crankshatt centerline to be misaligned. This will cause pilot bearing wear, main shaft bearing wear, hard shifting and in extreme cases, breakage of transmission ears anp ':.!Ises. Whil~ most housings will fall within the allowable limits. It is good insurance to check for register bore runout any time a housing is installed. Most factory service manuals will outline the checking procedure; however, they may not give correctional measures necessary to insure trouble-free standard transmission operation, short of trial and error housing switching.
Lakewood has developed the BELLHOUSING LOCATING KIT no. 15980 to insure correct bell housing installation. To do this a dial indicator (preferably a magnetic base) and a few simple tools plus close atlention to detail will give excellent and trouble-free operation.
- Install bellhousing onto block, using two (2) mounting bolts placed opposite of one another See Figure #1.
- Mount dial indicator base regularly to crank flange or flywheel. Align indicator stem 90° to crankshaft centerline, resting stem on transmission register hole. See Figure #2.
- Rotate crankshaft 360" and observe highest reading of indicator. N. this point, reset indicator to zero and rotate crankshaft another 360". The highest reading reached on the indicator DIVIDED IN HALF is the amount of misalignment.
BELLHOUSING LOCATING KIT INSTALLATION
- Remove stock dowel pins from engine block.
- Install dowel pins supplied in kit.
- Enlarge dowel pin holes in bellhousing 1/16". In some cases, it may be necessary to drill out bellhousing mounting holes. In most cases 1/32" oversize will be sufficient.
- Reinstall bell housing, as in step 1 above, but leave bolts loose enough to move bell housing when tapped with a soft mallet.
- Move bellhousing in the direction of the highest indicator reading. (By one-half the highest indicator reading.) NOfE: It is important to observe in which direction the indicator stem is traveling when reading the indicator, so as not to move (adjust) the bellhousing in the wrong direction.
- At this time, tighten all bell housing mounting bolts in a zigzag pattern and recheck with indicator for correct alignment. In some cases, it may be necessary to enlarge the locating holes andlor mounting holes more than the recommended 1/16" to correct the misalignment problem.
- After correct alignment of the bell housing has been established, install washers provided in kit over dowel pins the chamfer against bellhousing. Weld washers directly to bell housing. On some model bell housings, it may be necessary to modify washers to clear the bellhousing or other obstructions. NOfE: By welding only a small section to the bellhousing, the washers may be removed when installing and indicating the bell housing on another block.