INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FORD/MERCURY/LINCOLN FRONT REPLACEMENT STRUT
- Read this instruction sheet and any instructions printed on the parts package carefully prior to removing the strut from the vehicle.
- Do not grip polished piston rod with any tool. Nicks or scratches will cause decreased service life.
- Part number on unit may differ from part number on carton. The unit is correct for the vehicle.
- If you have any questions during installation that are not answered by this instruction sheet, call 1-800-526- 5888 for technical assistance.
- If this unit is gas pressurized, do not heat or open.
- Always wear safety glasses for eye protection.
- Use safety stands whenever a procedure requires you to be under the veh icle.
1. Raise vehicle and support the lower control arm usinS a ftoor jack or equivalent. Position the floor jack as close to the brake rotor as possible; remove front wheels.
CAUTION: MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED.
2. (FIG . 1) Remove and save the two strut-ta-splndle nuts and bolts (A) and separate lower strut mount from spindle.
NOTE: On some models, it may be necessary to remove the brake caliper to allow access.
NOTE: If vehicle is equipped with ABS (Anti-lock Brakes), remove ABS bracket and save for reuse.
NOTE: On vehicles equipped with ABS , AK-74 Kit is required for installation. Vehicles without ABS, AK-27 may be used if the original mounting bolts are damaged.
3. (FIG. 1) Locate and loosen, but do not remove, the 16mm upper mounting nut (B).
4. (FIG. 2) When removing gas charged units, it may be necessary to remove the three small nuts (C) that secure the strut to the body. Mark one of the upper retaining studs in relation to strut tower for orientation.
NOTE: Do not remove the mounting plate if it is not necessary. Alignment may be required if plate is removed.
5. (FIG. 1) Compress the strut, remove and discard the upper rod nut (B). Pull unit down and remove from vehicle. Remove the compression bumper from the rod and save for reuse.
6. Inspect all parts as removed for wear or damage. Obtain replacements when necessary.