29. Test fit the Simco Graphic Appliqué and EL Lamp Assembly over the original graphics with the adhesive liner still intact to get a feel for placing the new graphics.
30. When you are comfortable placing the graphics, remove the original OEM graphic appliqués from the cluster.
31. Review the surface under the OEM appliqués and remove any dirt or debris that might affect the adhesion of the new appliqué.
32. Peel the liner attached to the back of the Simco Graphic Appliqué and EL Lamp Assembly and adhere the new graphic assembly to the flat cluster surface making sure to line up all gauge center holes with the gauge shafts.
33. Install the instrument cluster without the New Bezel Assembly into the instrument panel of the vehicle and reconnect the two harness connectors. Position the cluster in the instrument panel that will allow the most ease for staking the New Pointers at the marked calibration points on the calibration overlay.
34. Calibrate the instrument cluster with the New Simco Graphic Appliqué and EL Assembly by the following steps:
35. Place the calibration overlay over the New graphics, locating the overlay on the five pins of the white rear housing.
36. Remove the New Pointers from there packaging. The Long Pointers will be installed on the Speedometer and Tachometer locations and the Short Pointers will be installed on the Fuel, Water Temperature, Voltage, and Oil Pressure locations.
37. Place the new pointers onto the gauge shafts one-by-one by first aligning the pointer tip with the marked point on the calibration overlay and then lightly pressing the pointer onto the gauge shaft. Once the pointer is accurately aligned with the mark on the calibration overlay, firmly press the pointer onto the gauge shaft. Recommended staking pressure is about 8 lbs, but a firm push with your thumb will do. If the pointer needs to be adjusted, use the pointer removal tool to gently pry upwards on the hub of the pointer to release the pointer from the shaft and re-stake.
38. Once the instrument cluster has been calibrated, remove it from the vehicle and place it on a clean surface being careful not to touch or damage the new pointers.
39. Install the New Pointer Stops and Bezel Assembly by the following steps:
40. Note: Be careful not damage or abruptly touch new pointers.
41. Place each New Pointer Stop, located in the small pointer zip lock bag, in either end of the pointer stop installation tool (2” clear tube). The straight portion of the pointer stop should go into the tool.
42. Press the tapered end of the pointer stops into the holes in the following locations: speedometer, tachometer, and oil pressure. (See Figure 7 where the OEM pointer stops were removed)
43. Gently rotate the two long pointers counter clockwise (CCW) so they are just above the pointer stops.
44. Gently rotate the oil pressure, battery, and water temperature small pointers until they are in the Normal range. Gently rotate the fuel pointer until it is in between the Empty and Full range.
45. Place the New Bezel over the graphics locating the bezel on the five white pins in the white rear housing of the cluster.
46. Screw the bezel to the white rear housing using the eight brass screws removed in Step 5 with a T-15 Torx Bit. Figure 6 in Step 5 shows these screw locations.
47. Attach the Simco EL Inverter to the back of the instrument cluster by the following steps:
48. CAUTION: Be very careful to avoid bending of leads on EL Lamp. Damage may occur if proper care is not taken. Note: The lamp connector MUST have the red wire side facing down towards the bottom of the cluster. Note: New lamp connector is solely used as a power source; not intended to be filled with a lamp.
49. Remove the liner from the 4” strip of tape provided and strap the Simco EL Inverter to the flexible circuit. (See Figure 10)