General Information, Disassembly, and Assembly Instructions
Installation of this kit should ONLY be performed by persons experienced in the installation and proper operation of disc brake systems. Before assembling the Wilwood front disc brake kit, double check the following items to ensure a trouble-free installation.
- Make sure this is the correct kit to match the exact make and model year of the vehicles spindle (i.e., hubs for a 1980 Mustang spindle will not fit a 1997 Mustang spindle).
- Verify the factory hub stud pattern matches the brake hat in this kit.
- Verify your wheel clearance using Figure 2.
- Inspect the package contents against the parts list to ensure that all components and hardware are included.
- Disassemble the original equipment front brakes: Raise the front wheels off the ground and support the front suspension according to the vehicle manufacturer’s instructions. Remove the wheel. Remove the two bolts from the backside of the spindle that hold the stock caliper mounting bracket and lift off the bracket and stock caliper as one unit. If space is a problem, you may have to unbolt the stock caliper from the caliper bracket before removal. Save the stock caliper mounting bracket bolts, they will be utilized during reassembly, then slide off the stock hat and rotor assembly. Optional: Removal of the dust face plate to facilitate easy removal of additional parts and/or for aesthetic purposes if you will be running spoked wheel and would like to see the drilled/slotted rotor.
- Clean and de-grease the spindles as well as the stock caliper bracket bolts. Remove all nicks or burrs on the spindle snout and threads. Assembly Instructions (numbers in parenthesis refer to the parts list/diagram on the preceding page):
- Apply red Loctite® 271 to the stock caliper mounting bracket bolt threads before installation of the caliper mounting bracket (1). Install the stock bolts from the near side (opposite from the way they were removed) and place a washer (2) between the spindle assembly and the caliper mounting bracket (1). Torque stock bolts to 65 ft-lb.