This Mustang Parts Installation Guide Works For
Original Exhaust System Removal
Note: With a used vehicle, we suggest a penetrating spray lubricant to be applied liberally to all exhaust fasteners and allowing a significant period of time for the chemical to lubricate the threads before attempting to disassemble.
1. Lubricate hangers and rubber isolators on the rear mufflers.
2. Loosen the passenger side ball-clamp behind the rear axle pipe and carefully remove right-side muffler from hangars.Do not discard clamps as they willbe used for installation of your new exhaust.
(See Fig. 1)
3. Repeat above step for left-side muffler. (See Fig. 2)
Warning: Use extreme caution during installation. Torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s torque values and tightening sequence.DO NOTuse air impact tools to tighten fasteners on BorlaPerformance Exhaust Systems. Use of such tools may result in bent flanges or gasket contact areas leading to exhaust leaks.
Borla Performance Exhaust System Installation
1. Insert the expanded end of the (driver-side) L/H muffler assembly into OE ball clamp and install the hangers into the rubber isolators. (See Fig. 3)
2. Repeat step 2 for the installation of the (passenger-side) R/H muffler assembly.
3. Check your exhaust system for proper clearance under the vehicle and also for tip alignment. (See Figs. 4)
4. Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal™ clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs.
5. Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
6. Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary.
Note: When you first start your vehicle after the installation of your new Borla Performance Exhaust System, there may be some smoke and fumes coming from the system. This is a protective oil based coating used in the manufacturing of mandrel bent performance exhaust tubing. This is not a problem and will disappear within a very short period of time after the exhaust has reached normal operating temperatures.
Congratulations!!!You have completed the installation of the world famous Borla Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust System.