This Mustang Parts Installation Guide Works For
Note: With a used vehicle, we suggest a penetrating spray lubricant to be applied liberally to all exhaust fasteners and allowing a significant period of time for the chemical to lubricate the threads before attempting to disassemble.
1. Loosen the clamps shown in figure 1 located just in front of each muffler.
2. Using a muffler stand or an additional person to hold the left muffler assembly up into position, using a 15mm socket, unbolt the hanger bracket assembly as the one shown in figure 2 located just above the front portion of the muffler. Place the hardware to the side for use during the installation of your new exhaust system.
3. Continuing using a muffler stand or an additional person to hold the left muffler assembly up into position, using a 15mm socket, unbolt the hanger bracket assembly as the one shown in figure 3 located just above the rear portion of the muffler. Place the hardware to the side for use during the installation of your new exhaust system.
4. Remove the left muffler from the vehicle as shown in figure 4.
5. Repeat steps 1 thru 4 for the removal of the right side muffler assembly.
Warning: Use extreme caution during installation. Torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s torque values and tightening sequence.DONOTuse air impact tools to tighten fasteners on Borla Performance Exhaust Systems. Use of such tools may result in bent flanges or gasket contact areas leading to exhaust leaks.
Borla Performance Cat-Back Exhaust System Installation
1. Remove the hanger bracket assemblies from the original left muffler assembly and install them onto your new left muffler assembly as shown in figure 5.
2. Place a clamp over the expanded end of the left muffler assembly and using a muffler stand or an additional person to hold it up in place, set it into position and using the original hardware, secure the hanger bracket assemblies to the vehicle.Do Nottighten clamp.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the installation of the right side muffler assembly. The end result is shown in figure 6.
4. Check your exhaust system for proper clearance under the vehicle and also for tip alignment.
5. Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal™ clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs.
6. Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
7. Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary.
Note: When you first start your vehicle after the installation of your new Borla Performance Exhaust System, there may be some smoke and fumes coming from the system. This is a protective oil based coating used in the manufacturing of mandrel bent performance exhaust tubing. This is not a problem and will disappear within a very short period of time after the exhaust has reached normal operating temperatures.Congratulations!!!You have completed the installation of the world famous Borla Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust System.