This Mustang Parts Installation Guide Works For
Note: It is our recommendation that you use a hoist or hydraulic lift to facilitate the installation of your new Borla Performance Cat-Back™ Exhaust System.
Taking all under car safety precautions, lift the vehicle using a hoist or hydraulic lift. Once this has been done, you may begin the removal of your old exhaust system from your vehicle.
Note: Before removing the original exhaust system from your vehicle, please compare the parts you have received with the bill of materials provided on the previous page to assure that you have all the parts necessary for the installation of your new Borla Performance Cat-Back™ Exhaust System.
Original Exhaust System Removal
Note: With a used vehicle, we suggest a penetrating spray lubricant to be applied liberally to all exhaust fasteners and allowing a significant period of time for the chemical to lubricate the threads before attempting todisassemble.
1. Unbolt the flanges shown in figure 1 located in of each muffler/tailpipe assembly.
2. Beginning with the passenger side, using a muffler stand or an additional person to hold the exhaust up in place, remove all the hangers from the rubber brackets.
3. Remove the passenger side exhaust from the vehicle as shown in figure 2.
4. For the removal of the driver side exhaust, repeat steps 2 and 3.
Borla Performance Cat-Back™ Exhaust System Installation
Warning: Use extreme caution during installation. Torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s torque values and tightening sequence.DO NOTuse air impact tools to tighten fasteners on Borla Performance Exhaust Systems. Use of such tools may result in bent flanges or gasket contact areas leading to exhaust leaks. If any welding is performed, protect vehicle brake, fuel, vacuum or similar lines. Always check for any damage after welding has been done. Also check inside vehicle for damage to such items as carpet, inner liner, etc. Always have a class C fire extinguisher and a bucket of water available during any welding process.
1. Place one flange on each flared front pipes and place them into position as shown in figure 3 using the original hardware. Secure them hand tight.
2. Place a clamp over the expanded end of the left and right muffler assemblies and place each one into position as shown in figure 4 installing the hangers into the rubber brackets.DO NOTtighten the clamps.
3. Place a clamp over the expanded end of left and right tail pipe assemblies and place each one into position as shown in figure 5 making sure to install the hangers into the rubber brackets as shown in figure 6.DO NOTtighten the clamps.
4. Check your exhaust system for proper clearance under the vehicle and also for tip alignment.
5. Once position has been determined to be correct, tighten the Accuseal clamps to 32-35 ft. lbs.
6. Secure the flanges located in front of the muffler assemblies to the vehicle manufacturer recommendations.
7. Before starting your vehicle, make sure to check all wires, hoses, brake lines, body parts and tires for safe clearance from the exhaust system.
8. Start vehicle and check for any leaks. If any leaks are found, determine cause (such as loose or incorrectly positioned clamp) and repair as necessary.
Note: When you first start your vehicle after the installation of your new Borla Performance Exhaust System, there may be some smoke and fumes coming from the system. This is a protective oil based coating used in the manufacturing of mandrel bent performance exhaust tubing. This is not a problem and will disappear within a very short period of time after the exhaust has reached normal operating temperatures.
Congratulations!!!You have completed the installation of the world famous Borla Performance Stainless Steel Exhaust System.