1. Using the hacksaw or sawsall, cut 9.5 inches off the down-pipes. Keep the cut as square as possible and remove any sharp edges with a metal file.
2. Snug fit the driver’s side down-pipe, including the header sleeve. Don’t bother with the O2 sensor hookups until the whole system is dry fit. They are a pain to get on and off.
3. Snug fit the passenger side down-pipe using a NEW gasket – lip facing out of header.
4. Next, slide a clamp onto each down-pipe, followed by the Catalytic Converters. The bung should be closest to the rear of the car (it only fits one way). DO NOT OVER INSERT any section of pipe into the Catalytic Converter, as there is nothing to prohibit damage to the inner workings by doing so. Only insert as far as the “un-flared” section of the Catalytic Converter.
5. Now get your jack in place to support the new X-Pipe.
6. Slide a clamp onto each leg of the X-Pipe. The longer leg is on the driver side. Then slide the X into the Catback. Support the whole assembly with the Jack in the middle of the X. Do NOT jack it up yet, or you may have trouble mating it with the Cat-Back. The “droop” in the system makes mating them up easier.
7. Line up the Cat-Back with the X-Pipe and slowly jack the system up, until it is level with the bottom of the car.
8. Snug up each of the 4 clamps, starting with the clamps closest to the front of the car. Make sure all fittings that involve a slotted pipe are FULLY inserted before snugging the clamps.
9. Proceed to snug the clamps and, finally, the flanges to the Cat-Back.
10. Crawl out from under the car and examine the exhaust system from ALL angles. If it is hanging low at any point, get back under and make small adjustments.
11. Take note of the ball and socket joint at the X-pipe to Cat-Back union. Be sure they are in line – see flange picture.
12. Tighten all band clamps. Pay attention to the placement of the spacers in the clamps. If it rests on the threads, it WILL break in half when you tighten it. This occurred on 3 out of 4 of mine before I realized what was going on.