These instructions are for installing the Matte Black Quarter Window Blackout. Generally, the blackout is used to keep passengers from seeing the unpainted underside of quarter window louvers. Installing vinyl for both quarter windows should take about 1 hour. It is recommended that the vinyl be applied with the car in a warm shady location, not in the hot sun or very cold.
1. Assemble the parts and tools and place them conveniently near the car windows. Dry test each of the blackout vinyl decals to be sure you know which one goes with which window.
2. Use automotive window cleaner and lint-free towels to remove all dirt, grime and oils from the outside of the quarter windows. Use rubbing alcohol and applicator pad if you think there might be oily residue. Remember, this will be your last chance to clean the windows.
3. Spray enough soapy water on the window to coat it thoroughly to keep the decal from prematurely sticking but not so much as to cause the decal to slide off the window.
4. Carefully peel the paper backing from the decal. Avoid pinching or stretching the vinyl and avoid getting too much oil from your hands on it as you peel. Just before you have completed peeling the backing away entirely, spray the sticky side with soapy water. Recommend peeling the backing upward and letting the vinyl dangle while holding it from the top but be careful that it doesn't fall off and land on the ground. A second pair of hands can help with the spraying but one person can do it.
5. With the vinyl and the window still wet with soapy water, place the back of the vinyl carefully on the window, avoiding the car body surface so that the vinyl doesn't stick to the body. It should be relatively easy to position the vinyl while the window is wet. See Photo #1.