STEP 4: Pinion and ring gear movements can be adjusted to obtain satisfactory roll patterns as follows:
a. Decreasing backlash moves the ring gear closer to the pinion.
- Drive pattern (convex side of gear) moves slightly lower and toward toe.
- Coast pattern (concave side of gear) moves lower and toward the toe.
b. Increasing backlash moves the ring gear away from the pinion.
- Drive pattern moves slightly higher and toward the heel.
- Coast pattern moves higher and toward the heel.
c. Thicker pinion position shim with the backlash constant moves the pinion closer to the ring gear.
- Drive pattern moves deeper on the tooth (flank contact) and slightly toward the toe.
- Coast pattern moves deeper on the tooth and toward the heel.
d. Thinner pinion position shim with the backlash constant moves the pinion farther from the ring gear.
- Drive pattern moves toward the top of the tooth (face contact) and toward the heel.
- Coast pattern moves toward the top of the tooth and slightly toward the toe.
Axle Shaft installation
STEP 1: Lubricate the lip of the axle shaft oil seal with grease.
STEP 2: NOTE: Do not damage the axle shaft oil seal when installing the axle shaft. Install the axle shaft
STEP 3: NOTE: Do not damage the rubber O-ring in the U-washer groove.
Install the axle shaft U-washer.
a. Position the U-washer on the button end of the axle shaft.
b. Pull the axle shaft outward.
STEP 4: Install the differential pinion shaft.
- Align the hole in the differential pinion shaft with the differential case lock bolt hole.
- Install a new differential pinion shaft lock bolt.
- Tighten to 35 Nm (26 lb-ft).
STEP 5: Position the rear wheel speed sensor and install the bolt.
- Tighten to 15 Nm (133 lb-in).
STEP 6: Install the rear brake disc.
Rear Cover Installation
NOTE: Make sure the machined surfaces on both the axle housing and the differential housing cover are clean and free of oil before installing the new silicone sealant. The inside of the axle housing must be covered when cleaning the machined surface to prevent contamination.
STEP 1: Clean the gasket mating surface of the axle housing and the differential housing cover. Verify that the cover is flat.
STEP 2: Apply a new continuous bead of sealant to the differential housing cover. For aluminum covers apply a continuous bead in the groove of the cover.