1. Make sure you have the right kit! The transmission in your vehicle may have been replaced under warranty. Replacement transmissions generally (though not always) conform to the specifications of the model year when they are installed. Check the transmission I.D. tag located on the left hand side of the case to verify the transmissions model year (See Fig. 1 ).
2. Caution: Some vehicles equipped with air bags must have the airbags disabled before hoisting or jacking up the vehicle. Consult your owner's manual for the proper hoisting or jacking procedures.
3. Please do not assume this kit will work in a later model year transmission than is indicated on the face of these instructions. Factory product development introduces component changes almost every model year. Installing this kit in a more recent model year transmission than it was designed for could lead to complete transmission failure. Please check with your B&M supplier for the current applications part numbers.
4. B&M's A0DE/4R70W Shift Improver Kit was designed to provide firm positive shift quality and improve transmission durability in original vehicle installations and those with moderate engine power improvements. This kit was not designed for and is not suitable for all out raciAg applications.
5. No recalibration kit can fix an already ailing transmission. If your A0DE/4R70W is slipping, overheating, shifting irregularly or making noise, you should repair it before or, in conjunction with the installation of this kit.
6. Installation of this kit requires Metric hand tools as well as the following special tools to remove and replace the 1-2 Accumulator assembly: Internal retaining pliers (Sears M45490 or equivalent). Ford Servo Piston Removal tool T92P- 70023-A or equivalent. An experienced transmission technician should be able to remove and reinstall the 1-2 Accumulator assembly without the aid of the Servo Piston Tool. See the tool list located at the rear of this booklet for tool requirements.
7. Caution: Replacement separator plates are NOT available for this transmission. Be very careful to use the correct drill bit size when drilling the orifices.
8.You will need approximately 10 quarts of ATF (stock pan) to refill the transmission.
Your A0DE/4R70W Transmission is controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which has full control of it's operation. All of the parameters that control fluid pressure, shift point RPM and TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) lockup speed have been preprogrammed into the PCM at the factory. We have designed this kit as an easy way to overcome the less desirable features of the factory calibrated imperceptible shifts. The B&M A0DE/4R70W Shift Improver Kit mechanically recalibrates your transmission to produce firm positive shifts, this helps reduce clutch pack heat build up and improves transmission durability. This kit does not change or modify the shift point speed (RPM) in any range.
All transmission shift point speed (RPM) remains under control of the PCM as they are currently calibrated. With this kit you can set the shift feel characteristics of your transmission to one of two levels of shift performance, Heavy Duty or Street. Heavy Duty level produces a solid, noticeably firm shift when compared to the stock shift feel. While Street level produces a slightly quicker and more aggressive shift compared to Heavy Duty level. After installing the B&M Shift Improver Kit the actual shift feel you get will depend on the current PCM calibration, the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) temperature and the type of ATF you have used. As ATF temperature increases it becomes thinner (less viscous) which allows the fluid to flow faster through small orifices thereby producing faster shift rates. In addition to the effects of temperature, each type of ATF (B&M Trick Shift®, Mercon®, Type F, etc.) has a specific characteristic friction property. This characteristic friction property is one of the variables that determines shift feel and clutch torque capacity. Mercon® type ATF's were formulated to produce smooth imperceptible shifts. While B&M Trick Shift® ATF with its higher friction properties results in firmer shift quality than Mercon® type ATF. Mercon® or B&M Trick Shift® ATF's are suitable for use in your AODE/ 4R70W transmission. For Maximum performance and positive shift feel we recommend B&M Trick Shift® ATF.
Cautions about PCM
The PCM turns ON (Illuminates) the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light or Check Engine Light) whenever it detects a component (engine or transmission) malfunction. When the PCM turns the MIL ON it also sets a
OTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) in the PCM's memory. You may have to
refer to your owners manual, a FORD service manual or visit a FORD dealer
to determine the source of the malfunction(s) that cause(d) any OTC codes to be set and the required remedy. When installing this kit the Ml L may be turned ON if the ignition switch is turned ON while any of the transmission electrical connectors are disconnected. So it is a good idea to disconnect the battery before starting to work on the transmission and not reconnecting it until after all work is completed. If you accidentally set the MIL you may be able to reset it (after correcting the cause) by disconnecting the battery for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure your engine is in good tune and any problems related to set trouble codes are repaired BEFORE attempting to install your B&M kit. Before installing your B&M Shift Improver Kit there are several other B&M products you may wish to consider:
TRICK SHIFT® ATF
Trick Shift® Performance Automatic Transmission Fluid is a specially blended oil formulated with foam inhibitors, extreme pressure agents and shift improvers, this fluid assures protection while delivering the fastest possible shifts. You literally "Pour in performance". Trick Shift® ATF is available at your B&M dealer.
TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER We feel that it is very important that every vehicle used in heavy duty or high performance application should have an auxiliary oil cooler. Excessive heat is the primary cause of transmission failures, and an auxiliary oil cooler is an inexpensive safeguard against overheating and failure. B&M offer's a wide range of transmission coolers to suit every need and are available at your B&M dealer.
TEMPERATURE GAUGE KIT80212 Most transmission and converter failures can be traced directly to excessive heat. The B&M transmission temperature gauge can save you a costly repair bill by warning you of an overheated transmission. The B&M temperature gauge comes with all necessary hardware and is easy to install.
DRAIN PLUG KIT 80250 AODE/4R70W transmission oil pans are not factory equipped with drain plugs. The B&M Drain plug kit is inexpensive and easy to install. It eliminates the mess when changing fluid or on pan removal.
CAST DEEP PAN 40287 Provides approximately 4 quarts additional A TF capacity. increasing the transmissions overall cooling capacity. The B&M A0DE/4R70W Shift Improver Kit can be installed in just a few hours by carefully following the instructions. The first thing to do is select the level of shift performance desired depending on the vehicles intended use:
1. Heavy Duty Level; Towing, campers, 2 and 4-wheel drive light trucks. This level produces solid, noticeably firm shifts.
2. Street Level; Dual purpose performance vehicles. This level prcx.luces quicker, slightly more aggressive shifts than Heavy Duty Level.
Please note: The factory PCM shift calibration can vary with vehicle model and year which results in some cases that Street level may be firmer than expected. We recommend you start with the Heavy Duty performance level. If after trying the Heavy Duty level you want more aggressive shifts you can easily upgrade to Street level by performing the Street Level modifications.
INSTALLATION PRECAUTIONS Automatic transmissions normally operate at temperatures between 150F and 250F. We strongly recommend that the vehicle be allowed to cool for several hours before attempting disassembly to avoid serious burns from hot ATF and parts. The vehicle should be raised so there is at least 2 feet ground clearance for ease of installation and safety.
MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS RIGIDLY AND SECURELY SUPPORTED, JACK STANDS, WHEEL RAMPS OR A HOIST WORK BEST--DO NOT USE JACKS ALONE.