Remove the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) parking brake cables:
•Raise the rear wheels off the ground and support the rear suspension according to the vehicle manufacturer’s instructions.
FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE:
• Be sure parking brake lever is released (off) inside the vehicle.
FROM UNDERNEATH THE VEHICLE:
NOTE: Make note of the existing cable routing. The Wilwood cables will be installed along the same path.
• Detach OEM cables from the OEM rear calipers.
• At the balance bar, detach the OEM cables from the bulkhead (in the driveshaft tunnel). Install a small hose clamp so that it surrounds the spring clip at the bulkhead. Using a long screwdriver, tighten the hose clamp around the spring clip and pull on the cable from the rear until it comes free of the bulkhead and remove. Perform the same technique on the second cable and remove.
• Unbolt and save the brackets holding the OEM cables to the chassis.
• Remove both left and right side cables (do not remove the balance bar, it will be reused with the Wilwood cable kit).
• To ensure maximum performance from your parking brake system, the cables must be routed as straight as possible. Bends in the cable can significantly reduce efficiency and thus reduce pull force at the brake. Tight bends must be avoided with a minimum recommended bend radius of 6" to 8".
• Cables should be properly restrained to prevent "straightening" of bends when tension is applied. Restrain movement of cable by affixing the cable sheath to body or chassis by fitting cable clamps at various points over the length of cable or by using original equipment cable attachments points. The clamping method chosen will require that cable sheath be held tightly without movement, crushing or causing interference to the internal cable.
• Cables must be initially pre-stretched by multiple applications of the brake handle, then re-adjusted to correct tension.