December 28, 2012
Easy Install Made Difficult
As others have stated, this is an easy install, and a great addition to your car. However, I suggest that you don’t take on this simple install right after a 6 hour drive after returning from a family Christmas gathering.
All started out right. I gathered my 8mm and 10mm sockets, socket wrench, and fender protector so that I didn’t scratch the Mystichrome paint on my 2004 SVT Cobra. First I discovered that on my car you really need a 10mm deep socket, since the threaded portion of the hood bolts protruded too far for a shallow socket. Of course, my 10mm deep socket was the only one missing from my deep socket set. So, I proceeded with a 10mm open end wrench until the shallow socket would work. I installed both hood brackets being sure that the attachment for the strut was facing outward. Then it was on to the fender brackets. It was easy to remove the first 8mm bolt, but it wasn’t easy to get it threaded in when the bracket was in place. I tried by hand and with the socket to no avail...then plop! The bolt fell out of the socket, and into the engine compartment. 30 minutes later i gave up using my magnet, and removed a similar bolt further down the line towards the battery and used that one. I discovered a small wire in the way of the bolt hole, and removed that with a pick. Then the bolt went in without trouble. After doing the same operation on the other side, I popped on the struts and lowered the hood carefully to make sure there were no interferences...all was good. I called out my wife to show her the Cobra’s Xmas gilt...she liked it. Then I attempted to close the hood, and clunk. It was 2 inches short of going down. It was then that my wife took an analytical look at my install, and informed me that I had installed the hood brackets on the wrong sides. So I swapped them, and presto the hood closed. You need to mount the hood brackets so that the short side is on the outer edge of the hood and the wide flange to the inside of the car...DUH! Sure glad I have a wife who usually thinks before she acts, instead of just plowing ahead like me. Now that all worked properly there was the issue of the missing bolt. We both came to the conclusion that the bolt would have either had to fall directly to the ground, which it didn't, or fall into an opening that would put it into the wheel well. So, out came the jack and a jack stand. I slid under, removed one push pin holding the wheel well liner, and out fell the bolt! Success...a 15 minute project completed in 1.5 hours!
In summary...cover your engine compartment, and possibly plan on using a 10mm deep socket...maybe have your wife nearby also. 5 Stars for the product...2 Stars for the mechanic!