19. After cleaning and inspecting the mating surfaces of the differential case and the new ring gear, they can be assembled and a drop or two of red Loctite thread locker or equivalent applied to each bolt and tightened in a criss-cross pattern, then finally torqued to 70-84 Lb.-ft.
20. Reassembly is started by putting the original pinion shims onto the new pinion and pressing the new bearing securely onto the shaft. After lightly lubricating the bearing surfaces, install the pinion from the back side of the housing. While holding it in place, install the old collapsible spacer, new bearing, oil slinger and rear axle U-joint flange from the front side.
21. Tighten them together securely with the old pinion nut, so there is no looseness in the bearings. This is being done to allow the testing for gear backlash and proper gear pattern, without ruining the new collapsible spacer or pinion nut.
22. With the new bearings pressed onto the differential case and lightly lubricating all bearing surfaces, install the unit with the original left side shims.
23. Attempt to insert the right side shims. If right side shims are either too tight or too loose, use a combination of shims supplied in the kit to obtain the tightest fit possible.
24. Attach the bearing caps securely and rotate the assembly by turning the U-joint flange. Attach the bar tool to the rear axle U-joint flange and secure the other end to a part of the frame holding the pinion motionless.
25. Using a magnetic base or other fixture, locate the dial indicator bar parallel to and just touching the underside of a ring gear tooth. Rock the ring gear back and forth and observe the amount of movement as shown in Fig. 18. The total movement should be.008 -.015 with the ideal being.012 -.015.
26. If the backlash is too small, decrease the shim thickness on the left side of the differential and increase the same amount on the right side. If backlash is too large, increase the shim thickness on the left side and decrease a like amount on the right side. A.006 shim adjustment will produce approximately a.004 change in backlash.