Free Shipping On Orders Over $49. Details

Talk to a Mustang Expert
1-877-887-1105
Every day 8:30AM EST - 11:00PM EST
Win Any Wheel & Tire Package! Enter Daily

SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter for T-5/T-45 (82-Early 01 V8; 93-99 Cobra; 94-04 V6)

Market Price $79.99 You Save 13% ($10.00)
Our Price

$69.99

FREE Shipping

• Item 49017
  • MPN# 49017

Will this fit your Vehicle?

In Stock Ships same business day.
Ship to: Ashburn - 20149
Sorry, please enter a valid US or CA postal code
We're sorry, zip can't be updated at this time.
    Create a list
    Add to New List

Saved - View your saved items

We're sorry. We couldn't save this product at this time.

Features, Video & Details

• Shorter, Quicker Shifts
    • Billet Aluminum Construction
    • Reuses Stock Shift Knob
    • Fits 1983- Early 2001 V8 T-5/T-45 Manual Mustangs
    • Fits 1994-2004 V6 T-5/T-45 Manual Mustangs

Review & Installation Video

Review & Install Video

Improves Shifts. Get quick, crisp, shorter throws with an SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter. Get rid of that loose sloppy feeling of your factory shifter and enjoy rowing through the gears every time you get in your manual Mustang.

Adjustable. Two sets of centering return springs and adjustable shift stops allow you to adjust the shift handle firmness to your own personal preference. The included handle of this SR Performance Short Shifter allows for multiple positions for further adjust-ability.

Superior Construction. The upper collar of this SR Performance T5/T45 Sport Shifter is constructed out of pure billet aluminum for strength and weight reduction, while the base is cast aluminum to provide a sturdy platform for those heavy handed shifters.

Application. This SR Performance 5-Speed Short Throw Sport Shifter is designed to fit the 1983 to early 2001 V8 and 1994 to 2004 V6 Mustangs with the T-5/T-45 Transmission. Reuses factory shift knob.

Fitment: 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Details

CA Residents: Warning: California's Proposition 65

What's in the Box
    • (1) Shifter Base
    • (1) Shifter Arm Upper
    • (1) Shifter Arm Lower
    • (2) Springs
    • (2) Stoppers
    • (4) Washers
    • (4) Handle Bolts
    • (4) Mounting Bolts
    Installation Info
    Tech Specs
    Short Shifters Specifications
    Transmission: T5/T-45 Adjustable: Yes
    Year/Model: 1983-early 2001 V8,
    and 94-04 V6
    Material: Billet Aluminum
    Brand: SR Performance Shift Knob Included: No
    Will it fit my Mustang?
    • Bullitt - 01
    • Cobra - 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
    • GT - 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01
    • LX - 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
    • Other - 82, 83, 84, 85, 86
    • V6 - 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04

Fits 1983-1995 5.0L, 1993-1999 Cobra, 1996-2001 GT, 2001 bullitt and 1994-2004 V6 Manual Mustangs with the T-5 or T-45 transmission

You Might Also Like

Customer Photos (33) Submit Your Photo

View All 33 Photos

Questions & Answers (28)

5 Top Rated Questions

are the springs and washers necessary to assembly

• The springs included with the SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter are replacements for the tension spring to allow adjustment of the shifter's tension. The washers are needed for the install and will go on the bolts connecting the shifter to the transmission to evenly distribute the clamping force.

Helpful (5)

Do I need to replace the rubber bushing that connects the shifter to the transmission?the old one fits small and I don’t know we’re to order the right one or if I even need it?

• The SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter is designed to reuse the OEM shifter bushing. This will also work with any aftermarket bushings designed to work with the stock shifter.

Helpful (1)

do you need a new seal while installing the new shifter?

• Yes, it would be required to get a new shifter gasket or apply a bead of RTV when installing this shifter.

Helpful (1)

will this work with the hurst competition shifter handle in a 93 5.0

• We have not tested the SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter with the Hurst handle, however this shifter has a standard shift handle bolt pattern and will accept any shift handle that will fit the stock shifter.

Helpful (1)

Whats the tread pitch?

• This shifter will reuse the factory shift knob, so it will have the same thread pitch of 12mm x 1.75.

Helpful (0)
    Post Your Question
    10 More Questions
    how can I get the return springs on the left and right side of the shifter if they are worn out and weak? mine is only about 1.5 years old and I should not have to buy a whole new shifter. 1 answer
    Does this shifter work on a2006 v6 Ford Mustang ? And if not could you point me in the right direction 1 answer
    What are the size of the two socket head bolts that retain the lower part of the shifter in the assembly. Mine are removed and I am having a hard time finding replacements? 1 answer
    Will this shifter go with the steeda tri ax handle? i already have that piece and it was great and now im looking for a low buck option to reduce the shifts even further 1 answer
    What is the difference between the SR performance short throw shifter and the SR Performance short throw 'sport' shifter? 1 answer
    My question is this says 82- early 01 so I am assuming this would not work in a 01 with a production date of 08/01 or would I be mistaken? 1 answer
    Will it work on a 1990 2.3? 1 answer
    Instalation information? And what are the springs for? 1 answer
    Are the threads for the shift knob metric or sae 1 answer
    Ive been running this in my car for almost 2 weeks and even after using high-strength threadlocker the 4 botls that attach the shifter to the blue extension and from that piece to the shift handle keep coming loose. I noticed that one of the bolts that is supposed to be used for that is shorter than the other three. I realized that practically no thread from the bolt was actually holding together the two pieces it was intended to. Is there any way i can get another set of equal length screws? 1 answer

People Who Bought This Item Also Bought

Customer Reviews (100+) Write a Review

Overall Rating 4.3

out of 5 stars

Installation Time:Less than 1 Hour

Installation Cost:$100-$250

• Fit 4.526627 4.5
    • Bang For Your Buck 4.541667 4.5
    • Throw Reduction 4.248521 4.2

• 5/5

Installation Time: Less than 1 Hour

November 14, 2018

Feels amazing!!!!

This shifter has completely changed my driver experience in car. Some times with old stock shfter I’d forget what gear I was in sometime but now with this new SR Performance Short Throw Sport Shifter I always know what gear I’m in. I also feel better about shifting into third out of second now because the stock shifter has so much wiggle room, I’d end up money shifting. No one wants that!!!

JaredW

Year: 1995 Submodel: GT

Helpful (0)

• 4/5

Installation Time: Afternoon

November 08, 2018

Decent budget shifter

I decided to install without removing center console which is very possible with the proper tools. I used offset wrenches and it took a lot of patience unscrewing all the bolts. I've adjusted the shifter and it's pretty good. All gears hit easily- make sure you tighten the outer adjustment bolts! It can't compete with the steeda Tri-ax I have on my 03 GT buy for the money is so worth it, especially if ur factory one is shot like mine was on my 90 GT

JoeW

Year: 1990 Submodel: GT

Helpful (1)

• 1/5

November 05, 2018

fitment issues

I had to modify the plastic bushing because it did not fit the new shifter

Kairo

Year: 1996 Submodel: GT

Helpful (2)

• 1/5

October 26, 2018

Loose bolts

The Allan bolts that connect on the metal piece attached to the shifter ball constantly getting in tightened feels very sketchy when I’m on the road and it decideds to unbolt

DominicT

Year: 2002 Submodel: V6

Helpful (1)

• 5/5

October 09, 2018

91 foxbody racecar build

Excited to try the shift once I rebuild my engine but feels very nice

1slow302

Year: 1991 Submodel: GT

Helpful (2)

• 4/5

October 08, 2018

01 Bullitt

The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars is that some hardware was missing. Nothing I couldn't find in the garage though. I love the shifter compared to the stock one. After getting it adjusted it works amazing. Nice crisp shifts.

purplebeauty

Year: 2001 Submodel: Bullitt

Helpful (1)

• 3/5

October 01, 2018

'85 Capri 5.0 H.O. 5 speed, Executive stang!

Good entry level product. Be sure to carefully inspect, put silicone grease inside, and make all adjustments as directed. Needs better quality fasteners.

Keg

Year: 1985 Submodel: Other

Helpful (1)

• 2/5

October 01, 2018

Needs some work

Wouldn't fit into my bushing had to sand down the metal ball at the end to get it to fit

DrewW

Year: 1995 Submodel: GT

Helpful (1)

• 5/5

September 21, 2018

79 Fox Body Race Car

Easy to install, looks great. Can’t wait to get on the track with it.

StevenM

Year: 1979 Submodel: Other

Helpful (0)

• 3/5

September 20, 2018

Ehh

You get what you pay for. It feels a little sloppy and still has a longish throw

AidenW

Year: 2001 Submodel: V6

Helpful (1)

• 4/5

September 13, 2018

Nice.

Shifts are solid, throws alot shorter. Was a bit temperamental to adjust the spring tension, wanting it to spring back to center while not being too stiff to operate. The other adjustment is the length of it, I went with the higher mount point rather than the lower mount point for the stick. Even with this, it allowed for me to actually use the front cup holder! 1999. Of course you're reaching over the drink, but at least it works to get your drink back from Taco Bell. For 50 bucks, awesome.

Adam64

Year: 1999 Submodel: GT

Helpful (1)

• 4/5

September 09, 2018

Great shifter

Install went easy but make sure you use locktite on the bolted attaching the handle to the base. I love the short throw.

CharltonC

Year: 1996 Submodel: Cobra

Helpful (0)

• 5/5

September 03, 2018

Short throw shifter

The sr performance shifter went on as easily as the stock one came off. The throws are a lot shorter and more precise than stock. The shifter is lowered a perfect amount as well. One problem was the vibration damping gaskets that went on the shifter handle. The holes on the gasket were too big for the shifter handle on both gaskets. But it's not a big deal and there is little vibration to begin with.

Dan

Year: 1994 Submodel: GT

Helpful (1)

• 3/5

September 02, 2018

Does what it says but not for long

It does make the the shifts shorter and feel way better but the actual handle that connects to the shifter comes lose incredibly fast even with locktight like within the first 2 days fast

KwaneL

Year: 1997 Submodel: V6

Helpful (2)

• 5/5

August 27, 2018

Good

This product is great, it was easy to install works good I use it in my 95 Dragster Mustang works good on the track I couldnt ask for much more.

EthanA

Year: 1995 Submodel: V6

Helpful (1)

• 5/5

August 16, 2018

Installed on 99 Cobra

This is a night and day difference from the stock shifter that came with the car. Very surprised from the price and impressed. Easy to install just fallow directions and make sure it is adjusted correctly.

ParkH

Year: 1999 Submodel: Cobra

Helpful (2)

• 1/5

August 02, 2018

Disappointed

I was pretty disappointed with the shifter. It's not very smooth at all and sits way up in the dash on the early 2000 models. Wasnt comfortable to use for me but if you have long arms you might be alright. For the price it works but you might want to save a little extra money and upgrade.

JacobB

Year: 2000 Submodel: V6

Helpful (1)

• 5/5

July 30, 2018

Soo much nicer

Soo much nicer then stock and very easy to install

jhaggadone

Year: 1996 Submodel: GT

Helpful (1)

• 4/5

July 13, 2018

Gets the job done

Feels nice not cheap. Tensions springs came loose although i didnt thread lock them other than that worked as expected

Jason

Year: 2000 Submodel: V6

Helpful (1)

• 5/5

July 12, 2018

Love it!

Doesn't take long to install, maybe 20mins, worked great, throw reduction far exceeded my expectations

DavontaeM

Year: 1998 Submodel: GT

Helpful (2)

Related Mustang Categories